Cruella

 Well, to quote my husband, "Disney created another villain backstory to make the evil acceptable." It was acceptable when we saw the Disney version of 101 Dalmatians when we were kids. Unfortunately, times have changed. 

But on the plus side, this movie didn't suck. Cruela had a mother that loved her. She had a birth father that loved her. And she had two mates that cared about her like family. Oh and a dog. Can't forget the dog. She did have a good heart, but turned when she found out about the murder. The role of Anita, played by Kirby Howell-Baptiste, wasn't in the movie enough for me. I wanted to see her more. I wanted to see her meet her mate. I wanted that beginning for what we of the younger generation of the Disney movies would remember in an iconic movie. That "ah yeah!" moment. Emma Stone did a wonderful job as Estella/Cruella. The emotions, the stress, the pick-pocketing teamwork with her mates...yeah, that was well done. Her work relationship with the Baroness, played by Emma Thompson, reminded me of "The Devil Wears Prada", but this movie's dynamic was better for me. 

Overall this movie was very entertaining, well played out, but still, in the end, I'm a firm believer that the original Disney Villains don't need their backstory told. We are evil when the public sees us, we are evil when we fall from glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Mermaid (2023)

Mamma Mia!

Wonka