Pollyanna (1960)

 I could have sworn my husband had seen this movie before. I really did. But no - so we both saw this for the first time. I was surprised how interested in the characters my husband was. I, myself, followed the story and plot very well and then was taken aback when I saw Agnes Morehead with a scrunched up face and pouting about things! I looked at my husband and said "OMG it's Endora!!!!" For those that are not familiar, Endora was the mother of Samantha on "Bewitched". Good tv show. Went through some Darrens. But at any rate, Pollyanna (played by Hayley Mills) is a girl, whose parents died and now she must live with her mother's sister, Polly, played by Jane Wyman (beautiful actress!). Polly rules a small town - no one does a move without her permission. Except the church - the church does not take sides in such matters. I really took to the maids: Nancy (played by Nancy Olson), Tillie (played by Reta Shaw - wonderful actress, did a great job in "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken") and sour-puss Angelica (played by Mary Grace Canfield). Maids know so much about a household and what's going on in the town! But they honor their mistress. And Pollyanna is a new shiny item in their lives - in the whole town. She has no fear and lots of curiousity. And she genuinely cares about the people she meets. Her honesty and her heart give other people courage. Pollyanna's adventures and the friends she makes touches the viewer in every way. Even the dog, I think her name was Elizabeth, was touched by Pollyanna's gentle nature. There was romance in this thing, too. Nancy and "Cousin George" (played by James Drury, I think) and Dr. Chilton (played by Richard Egan), gorgeous man, who comes back to town after being gone for 5 years - and his eye is set on Aunt Polly. But Aunt Polly is set in her ways. Can he break the ice in her heart? Will Nancy submit to "Cousin George"? Can love save the day? Even Pollyanna's best friend, Jimmy Bean (played by Kevin Corcoran) couldn't tell you! It's a must- see movie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael (2026)

Wake Up, Dead Man, A Knives Out Mystery

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F